Pachmarhi got its name from Hindi word "Panch Marhi", where "Panch" means five and "Marhi" means caves. These caves were built by five Pandwa brothers of Mahabharatha epic during their fourteen years of exile. Pachmarhi is also known as "Satpura ki Rani" Major location in hilly area of satpura. UNESCO added Pachmarhi park to its list of Biosphere Reserves in May 2009. Later on Pachmarhi was introduced to the western world by Captain James Forsyth of the British Army in 1857. Pachmarhi became a hill station and sanatorium for British troops in the Central Provinces of India. The town is not very large, and most of the area is under Indian Army's control and lies in Pachmarhi Cantonment, overall population of about 18,642 population in (2011), with the majority of it being the Army. Pachmarhi have some hotel and movie hall. Pachmarhi is also known as "Satpura ki Rani" Major location in hilly area of satpura. Green shades embrace the mountains and everywhere is heard the gentle murmur of flowing water. Bridle paths lead into tranquil forest glades, groves of wild bamboo and jamun dense sal forests and delicate bamboo thickets. Complementing the magnificence of nature are the works of man, Pachmarhi is also an archaeological treasure-house. In cave shelters in the Mahadeo Hills is an astonishing richness in rock paintings. Most of these have been placed in the period 500-800 AD, but the earliest paintings are an estimated 10,000 years old.