Raigad (Marathi: रायगड) is a hill fort situated in Mahad, Raigad district of Maharashtra, India.
Posted 8 days ago in History and Facts.
1 Unique Visitors
The Raigad Fort, formerly known as Rairi, was seized by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and made it his capital in 1674 when he was crowned as the King of a Maratha Kingdom which later developed into the Maratha Empire, eventually covering much of western and central India.
Raigad FortRaigad District, Maharashtra
Raigad Fort towers
Shown within Maharashtra
Show map of MaharashtraShow map of IndiaShow all
Coordinates18°14′01″N 73°26′26″ETypeHill fortHeight1,356 metres (4,400 ft) ASLSite informationOwnerGovernment of IndiaControlled by￼ Maratha Empire (1656-1689)
￼Mughal Empire (1689-1707)
￼ Maratha Empire (1707-1818)
￼ United Kingdom
￼ East India Company (1818-1857)
￼ British Raj (1857-1947)
￼ India (1947-)Open to
the publicYesSite historyBuilt byHiroji IndulkarMaterialsStone, LeadGarrison informationPast
The fort rises 820 metres (2,700 ft) above the sea level and is located in the Sahyadri mountain range. There are approximately 1737 steps leading to the fort. The Raigad Ropeway, an aerial tramway exists to reach the top of the fort in 10 minutes. The fort was looted and destroyed by the British after it was captured in 1818.
The Ghats from Ryghur
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj seized the fort in 1656, then known as the fort of Rairi from Raje Chandraraoji More, The King of Jawali and a descendant of Chandragupta Maurya family. Chhatrapati Shivaji renovated and expanded the fort of Rairi and renamed it as Raigad (King's Fort). It became the capital of Chhatrapati Shivaji's Maratha Empire.
The villages of Pachad and Raigadwadi are located at the base of the Raigad fort. These two villages were considered very important during the Maratha rule in Raigad. The actual climb to the top of the Raigad fort starts from Pachad. During Chhatrapati Shivaji's rule, A cavalry of 10,000 was always kept on standby in Pachad village.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj also built another fort Lingana around 2 miles away from Raigad. The Lingana fort was used to keep prisoners.
In 1689, Zulfikhar Khan captured Raigad and Aurangzeb renamed it as Islamgad. In 1707, Siddi Fathekan captured the fort and held it until 1733.
In 1765, The fort of Raigad along with Malwan in present Sindhudurg District, the southernmost district of Maharashtra, was the target of an armed expedition by the British East India Company, which considered it a piratical stronghold.
In 1818, the fort was bombarded and destroyed by cannons from the hill of Kalkai. And on 9 May 1818, as per the treaty, it was handed over to the British East India Company.